The life and times of an anti-social intellectual

Wednesday, October 15, 2003

For some time I've been wanting to read Don DeLillo's latest book "Cosmopolis" but I haven't found the time. So after I finished "Empire Falls" yesterday I thought, "what the hell", and started reading it last night and I just finished it. It's a quick read as it's only 209 pages. It's a typical DeLillo novel with all the usual topics such as technology, death and identity. Also, DeLillo is a master as making small, everyday things matter. In "Cosmopolis" the main character wonders about such things as sneezing and why we stop our car at a red light.
"Cosmopolis" is not DeLillo's best novel. Of the books I've read by him, "White Noise" and the masterpiece "Underworld" are my favorites and some of the best books I've ever read. By the way, "Cosmopolis" is dedicated to Paul Auster, my other favorite American writer who I wrote about in my BA project. Overall, I'd give "Cosmopolis" a 7/10 rating.

Last night I watched "I know what you did last summer". I think I watched it back when it originally came out on video but I'm not sure. A few weeks ago I bought a deluxe box set (geek alert!) with both "I know..." movies, and last night I finally watched the first one. Overall, a very enjoyable movie with a lot of good scares (more than Scream 2 and 3 combined). Certainly one of the better teen slasher movies of that time.