The life and times of an anti-social intellectual

Sunday, September 28, 2003

"Go Down, Moses" turned out to be a mixed bag of surprises. It's basically a collection of stories and some of them are pretty decent while others are terrible. The longest, and probably most important, story called "The Bear" is so weird I had to give up reading it. My teacher told us in class that we would most likely have problems understanding that part so I hope he'll explain it Tuesday in class.
So I started reading the next book in my contemporary American literature class, namely "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo. I've never heard of him or the book but it won the 2002 Pulitzer Price. I've read the first 84 pages and it's already one of the funniest books I've ever read. I actually laughed out loud many times while reading the first chapters. It's very well written and as I said also very funny. If the remaining 400 pages are as good as the first 80, this will be a joyride from start to finish.
Allow me to quote from "Empire falls". Here, one of the main characters, Miles, is talking to a priest, Father Mark.
"Ever since Miles had confessed his boyhood confusion about the words 'rectory' and 'rectum', Father Mark (...) had preferred this nomenclature, even though it sometimes slipped out when it shouldn't. Such as earlier that summer when at the end of Mass he invited the parishioners to join him and Father Tom for lemonade on the lawn behind the Rectum".