The life and times of an anti-social intellectual

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

After 4 classes at the University today I'm burned out. Again I wonder how I ever get through 8am-2pm days in elementary school. Most of the time today was used on our specific topics for the exam. It got to be a bit annoying near the end but I got through it and overall there was a lot of useful information. November and some of December will consist of exam preparation as this week is basically the last week of regular classes at the University.
I spent a lot of my weekend reading "Contemporary America" by two Americans teaching at the University of Copenhagen. A terrific book describing and analyzing America as it looks today. There are some very interesting parts about history, culture, society, gender, race etc. The only thing I didn't like all that much was the part about the political system. It's not as confusing as the British system but almost. If I never read another page about how a bill becomes a law I will die a happy man.
My birthday is coming up on November 6. I guess it will be a bit sad this year since so many family members are missing. Certainly the volume of gifts will be a record low but it doesn't matter all that much all things considered.